The Crisis Facing Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Missouri
COVID-19 is affecting families in the Joplin Regional Area in a variety of ways:
- 1,300 face IMMEDIATE food insecurity
- 8,900 live at or below the poverty line and face potential job losses
- 7,586 are isolated at home in this crisis
Parents are concerned about their kids, their jobs, their futures
- I have children and parents to care for?What if I get sick?
- What if I lose my job and can’t pay my rent or buy groceries?
- If our kids do not go back to school “soon” how will I be able to work?
- How will my kids keep learning?
How Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Missouri Is Responding
FOOD AND NUTRITION
- Kids who rely on the breakfast and lunch programs at school will be able to access healthy meals at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Missouri through a partnership with Head Start and local youth.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Missouri will have meals available for pick up at the Joplin Site (317 Comingo Ave) from 4:30pm to 6pm.
- We are strengthening our virtual programming to ensure kids are still learning in the out-of-school time through targeted and engaging activities.Our virtual programming launch date is scheduled for March 23, 2020.
- My.Future and the Arts are other learning sites that Clubs members can access at home.
- Staff members are creating YouTube videos for Club members families at home so they can see a familiar face and have fun activities to do during this scary time. Staff are also creating daily challenges Club members and encouraging them to take a pic of their project and share it on Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Missouri’s Facebook and Instagram using #BGCSWMO.
Club members can utilize the online platforms such as Myclubmylife.com, Myfuture.com and www.bgcswmo.org for safe, social interaction online.
At first, 8-year old Michael thought staying home from school sounded fun. The youngest of 4 children, he envisioned days of playing with friends, sleeping in, and watching TV. But he noticed his Mom whispering a lot to his big brother and sisters. There was no food in the refrigerator. He wasn’t allowed to see his friends, and his Mom was sad all the time.
At Boys & Girls Clubs Southwest Missouri, we know that there are hundreds of families just like Michael’s who rely on us for academic support, mentoring, an evening meal, and a safe place for kids. And there are hundreds of kids like Michael who come to the Club to have fun. And these families need us more than ever.
We may not be open, but we are still supporting kids. Our innovative responses include a meals pick-up program, virtual homework help, and daily “check ins” with our caring youth development professionals.
Learn more about all the kids we serve at www.bgcswmo.org/about.
Overcoming This Crisis Together
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Missouri will re-open once we know it is safe to do so. In the meantime, kids and teens need us now more than ever before and our organization has responded with innovative programs to meet their needs.
When we do reopen, we will have a huge job ahead of us – to get the kids of Joplin and Webb City back on track to their great future. We will have to stem learning losses and make sure kids do not slip through the cracks. Long-term, our Club will be vital to rebuilding our community. For parents and families getting back on their feet, the Club will save them money when funds have never been tighter, provide a safe place for their children to go while they are working, and offer an evening meal or snack for low or no cost. For kids, the Club will restore a feeling of safety that has been lost as they face empty grocery store shelves, sick friends and neighbors, school cancellations, and the 24-hour news cycle. Club programs, such as “Power Hour” and “Money Matters,” will get kids back on track. And maybe most importantly, at the Club, kids and teens will get to be kids again: playing with friends, spending time with mentors and heroes, watching guest speakers, and going on field trips.
Will You Stand with Us to Support the Kids of Joplin and Webb City?
Join us as we respond to our community in crisis. Your gift today helps kids today!
Your gift of:
$100 Provides 5 programming packets for 5 kids
$500 Provides 20 hours of crisis training for staff
$1,000 Provides 90 meals for kids
Thank you for your continued support of Boys & Girls Clubs of SWMO!
The Mission of Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Missouri is to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Missouri is an incredible value for families, providing $1,038 of services for an annual membership fee of just $50. And, we provide value to the entire community — for every $1 invested in Boys & Girls Clubs in Southwest Missouri, 99.9% in economic benefits is returned to youth, families and society. Your support increases the earning power of parents now and youth in the future and saves societal costs such as healthcare, public assistance and incarceration.